Sunday, 3 April 2011

The Long and the Short of It


I love my teeny tiny bought from Mango shorts.

My ex boyfriend thinks they are skanky. And my male friends jokingly ask who I am trying to entice every time I wear them. But like someone I know to be sensible once said... “They are shorts, and shorts are meant to be.... well... short”. I kinda tend to agree.

What’s the point of shorts if they don’t show endless amounts of leg. If I wanted to cover my legs I would wear pants. I am not wearing them to attract attention nor does wearing them make me a morally loose character. Silly as it is, wearing my shorts instantly transfer me to sunny beaches. A bit like Dorothy and her sparkly red shoes in the Wizard of Oz.

I just feel that along with freedom to speech and all the rest of it we also have the freedom to dress how we want without being judged and stared at. After all, You are what you wear and aren’t your clothes a way of expression?


I like dressing accordingly to my mood, And if every morning while getting dressed I have to do it according to what others will think or how many men will stare down my cleavage, its just not fair.

The (mostly male) opposition might argue that in a country like India its not ‘safe’ to wear clothes like this and walk around on the streets. It most definitely isn’t. But isn’t it our social obligation as fellow citizens to try and expand this narrow minded thinking and to educate the repressed Indian male masses?  

Can we truly call ourselves a progressive, liberal and democratic society if a woman in certain kind of clothing is not safe? Keeping women in burqas (or any other equivalent) is not the way of ensuring their safety.

Being a coward and covering up is not the solution. As women this is our battle. So got out there. Wear those shorts (or whatever you want). It is for the greater social good. As long as you aren’t planning to go shopping on Linking road in a bikini.




No comments:

Post a Comment